Thursday, September 8, 2011

"It's going to be splendid, isn't it?"


On August 31st, my beloved Grandpa Farmer passed away after battling lung cancer for over a year and a half.  He was a wonderful man who loved his family more than anything.  Grandpa was a friend to all and, if you knew him, he probably felt like he was your Grandpa too.  He will be missed greatly.  

Although we are grieving his death, we are rejoicing that, because of his faith in Jesus, his suffering is done and he is at home with his Heavenly Father.  A story shared at my Grandpa's funeral keeps going over in my head.  I have been learning a lot from these words from Grandpa in his final days.  This is the story as I can recall from the funeral:

The pastor, a hospice chaplain, sat down with Grandpa when it became apparent that things were getting worse quickly.  During the course of their conversation the chaplain spoke of John 3:16 which says, "For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life."  He asked Grandpa if he believed that to which he replied, "I do."  Then the pastor read the verse again and instead inserted my Grandpa's name reading, "For God so loved Glenn that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life."  In response, my Grandpa smiled from "ear to ear" and apparently you could see a peace and joy come over my Grandpa.  

...Here is the best part...

Soon afterwards, the chaplain had already left, the nurse came in and my Grandpa said to her, "It's going to be splendid, isn't it?"  

Grandpa was referring to heaven.  As his grandchild, I am so thankful to know my Grandpa had faith in Jesus and am also thrilled to know he was excited to meet his Savior.  Like I mentioned, I have been reflecting on his words, but more importantly his attitude.  What about you?  Have you thought about that day?  Do you have peace that you will be in heaven?  If you are unsure and ever want to talk, please call me, I would love to chat.  If you have confidence you will go to heaven, are you excited about it?  Do you realize that its going to be splendid?






Although Grandpa didn't get to meet Eden, we were so glad that she got to be loved and cuddled by her Great-Grandma Farmer.



2 comments:

  1. I love that, Jen. So sorry about your Grandpa, but rejoicing with you that he is enjoying the splendor of the presence of Jesus! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you sibu. That was a beautiful post. :)

    ReplyDelete