Wednesday, June 16, 2010

bedtime prayers

Sometimes I am a very slow learner... at least in the practical sense.  When Jon and I first got married, he asked me to replace the toilet paper roll when I finish it.  Most of the time I forget.  When I was young and living at home, my mother would always have to re-teach me how to put the dishes in the dishwasher correctly.  It never failed, I would mess up almost every time.  With God, things are no different.  When I do learn and my life changes, it is only by his grace.  When I learn slowly, He is so patient with me, or even better he "suffereth long" with me if you use NASB.  

So here is how I have been a slow learner and how God has been so gracious with me.  A week or two into motherhood, Jon spoke at Alive at Drake about thankfulness.  The next day, my eyes turned to myself and how "difficult" life is.  After some crying and a few hours of a pity party, I remembered what I had learned the night before and turned my focus back to Jesus and what He has done for me.  It has now been six weeks since that message and often Jon kindly reminds me to remember to spend time thanking the Lord and that it help me to see the reality of God's kindness in my life.  Tonight, however, the Lord showered me with His grace and helped me to have a thankful heart.  A thankful heart really is a beautiful thing.

Here are some things I am thankful for tonight:
- for our families that love us and are so delighted to be a part of Owen's life.
- for getting to spend time with friends in the nursery while Owen was antsy during Epicenter.
- for a husband that has gotten up twice this week to do the nighttime/early morning feeding.
- for friends who are great listeners and love me through the tough times of being a mom.
- for owen not crying on the way home.
- for the start of a bedtime routine for Owen of reading and praying together.
- for the Lord being patient with me.
- for the comfort of knowing that Owen will always be provided for because the Lord loves him more than the birds.
- for God sending HIS SON to die and take my punishment for my sins.
- for Jesus being an example of what it means to die so others may live.

sweet dreams

1 comment:

  1. You have such a great attitude, Jen. Give yourself some grace, too- being a mommy is HARD! You're doing a fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete