Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Treasured in my heart

"And all who heard it wondered at what the shepherds told them.  But Mary treasured up all these things, pondering them in her heart."  Luke 2:18-19

And then again...

"And he said to them, 'Why were you looking for me?  Did you not know that I must be in my Father's house?  And they did not understand the saying that he spoke to them.  And he went down with them and came to Nazareth and was submissive to them.  And his mother treasured up all these things her heart."  Luke 2:49-51

When I read these verses, I can't help but wonder what it would be like to be Mary and intimately watch the Savior of the world grow up.  Since he was fully human and fully God, I question whether he cried when he had a dirty diaper, if he had to go through sleep/nap training.  I watch Owen learn to talk and wonder what was it like for Jesus, the Almighty God, to be a baby and humbly not communicate through words.  As Owen begins to get up on all fours, I imagine being Mary and being a part of watching Jesus learn to crawl.  Can you imagine how amazing that would be?!?  I ask myself, how much did Mary love Jesus because he was the savior and how much did she love him simply because he was hers.  My heart fills with love for Owen and my heart melts.  What was it like for her??  I believe Beauty reached its peak with the Creator of the universe became like His creation and took the form of a helpless baby boy born in a manger, to a young mama and a probably scared step-father.  Oh what it would have been like to be Mary and watch my Savior grow up!  But what a blessing it is to watch my little man daily become more and more himself.  I am so thankful to be a mama!  Here is my little list of things this morning that I am "treasuring in my heart."

1.  Owen has recently started saying consonants.  The one that he keeps repeating these past few days is "da-da-da-da-da."  I know he really isn't saying "daddy" but I love hearing him say it.  He loves his daddy so much and it melts my heart when he says those words.

2.  When I pick him when he's tired, his little arms wrap around my neck and his little fingers kind of scratch my neck like he just wants to make sure I'm still there.

3.  Also when he's just woken up for a nap, or ready to sleep, he will nuzzle his face into Jon or my chest.  It is so precious.

4.  Sometimes he'll just look at Jon or I in anticipation for a smile.  When we do, his face lights up and he smiles back!

5.  Finally, these pictures that Justin took at Thrift for Hope of Owen and Kaisa the other day make me smile so much!



 

2 comments:

  1. Jenny,

    I really like this post :) I have wondered a lot about Mary's love for Jesus and.. what it would be like to have a son and a savior and how her love felt or seemed like between the two. You put it into words better than my mind could really wrap around it- so thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelli McIlheranOctober 24, 2010

    Baby Owen has the cuties little facial expression in this photo. Who took your guys outdoor photo?

    ReplyDelete