Saturday, March 20, 2010

being pregnant during an (almost) record breaking des moines winter

Since the beginning of the pregnancy adventure I have heard from people time and time again, how lucky I am to be pregnant during the winter and not the summer. At first, I agreed. Little did we know that this winter would be the winter of all winters and that we would have at least four inches of snow on the ground from the beginning of december until the first week of march. So, as I waddled and baby stepped around snow and ice for three months I began to think that it would be far better to be pregnant in the summer. I dreamed of flowing skirts instead of constrained pants, of flip flops instead of struggling to put on snow boots five times a day, of being able to take walks outside to exercise instead of looking like a dork in the wellness center doing laps around the shortest track ever... but then the first week of march hit and the snow began to melt, the sun began to shine and it was 35 degrees (the first time since winter began)! I had to laugh at myself as I was driving around with my windows cracked because I was too hot in my car because of the sun and the "nice" weather. After a few nights of having difficulty falling asleep because I was too hot because it was now in the thirties I realized that maybe all along everyone was right. I have been pretty lucky to be pregnant in the winter, even a Des Moines winter.

On a side note... not everything in Des Moines has fared well during the winter. During the first week of March when everything was melting and we all began to rejoice because Spring was getting close, the garage at the house that my parents rent out to Grand View students collapsed! Here is a picture of Natalie showing off the damage of the winter.


No comments:

Post a Comment